Friday, July 28, 2006

Life of Fred


(Cross post from Maureen Wittmann)

While at the Colorado Catholic homeschooling conference, my teen daughter was very excited to show me a new series of books. I assumed that it was some fun girl literature that she was dragging me to see. Imagine my surprise when we got to the vending table and I saw math books.

It was the new series, Life of Fred by Stanley F. Schmidt, Ph.D. The lessons are taught through the story of a 6-year-old genius boy named Fred Gauss. (Heart and Mind did a review of the series and gave it the thumbs up.)

I bought the algebra book and Teen Daughter got right to work. In fact, she worked through several lessons as we drove home to Michigan. If this continues through the school year, this will be my new favorite textbook series. If you can get kids to enjoy the learning process, most of the work is done for you.

Dr. Schmidt gave a couple of talks at the conference and I heard that they were great. Last I checked tapes were not up at the CO website. I'm dying to hear them. I'll let you all know when they're available for sale.

PS If you have questions about the textbooks and answer keys, Dr. Schmidt's phone number is at his website. He's very nice about answering questions and helping you with concerns.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I found your post randomly on the internet. I am a college student (math education) and used his geometry book and have been HOOKED! I had to order his book and did something wrong on the order form and he called me personally! I would use these books in my classroom and highly recommend them to EVERYONE!